A super easy recipe for Mexican rice a.k.a Spanish rice. Use it in burritos, as a side for your favorite Mexican dish or on anything your heart desires! Enjoy!
NOTE – There seems to be some confusion on the amount of liquid this recipe requires. This is 2 cups liquid per 1 cup rice ratio. The tomato sauce makes up for the difference in liquid. We are not talking about ketchup or tomato paste here but canned tomato sauce or puree. Thank you.
Serves four to six
1 TBS olive oil
2 TBS finely chopped yellow onion
1/2 a TBS minced jalapeño
1 garlic clove – minced
2 cups long rice
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 1/2 cups water or chicken stock (do not add salt if using chicken stock)
1 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
• Heat some olive oil in a pan.
• Add 2 TBS finely chopped yellow onion, ½ T minced jalapeno, and 1 minced garlic clove.
• Add 2 cups long grain rice. Brown the rice, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly browned.
• Add ½ cup tomato sauce (which is a liquid).
• Add 3 ½ cups water and 1 teaspoon salt (or chicken stock no added salt).
• Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Fluff with fork.
• Serve and enjoy!